Biophilia is a term you may be hearing lately as we are spending more time socially distancing and remaining in our homes. What are the elements of biophilic design? Biophilic design consists of elements which connect us to Nature:
1. Natural Features such as plants, sunlight, water, scenic views, facade greenery, fire, etc.
2. Natural Shapes and Forms: animal and botanical motifs, shells, ovals, spirals, etc.
3. Natural Patterns and Processes
4. Light and Space
5. Place-based Relationships – indigenous materials, space defined by landscape, etc.
6. Evolved Human/Nature Relationships – brings to mind reverence, feelings of security, curiosity, affection and other positive emotional responses.